There are two bird hides at the upper dam, one having Universal Access. There is also a bird hide at the lower dam. The bird hides can alternatively be reached by driving to the parking area on the Steenboksvlakte / Stormsvlei road.
• There is an 8km mountain bike trail that meanders through a section of the reserve and takes about an hour to finish (bring your own mountain bike).
• The Braille Trail is trail for visually impaired visitors that follows the first kilometer of the Heron Trail. It leads to the first bird hide and back and has boards with interesting information in braille along the route.
• The Heron Trail in an easy 3km walk that takes about an hour to complete. The route follows fairly flat terrain to two dams with attractive bird hides.
• The Agama trail is a 9km (±2hrs) route that starts at the parking area by the information centre. This trail was done in collaboration with the Friends of Vrolijkheid team. It leads the hiker to a dam known as the island dam, due to the small island found there, that has birdlife throughout the year when there is water in the dam. Here one can view various water birds. This trail is mostly along the management jeep track that takes one through the reserve to view some wonderful vistas or even the odd Duiker or Klipspringer for the sharp eyed hiker until it joins the Rooikat trail. It then takes the hiker to the second bird hide along the dam wall as not to disturb the bird life. The hiker can now follow the Heron trail back to the other bird hide and parking area.
• The Rooikat Trail is a circular 19km trail that winds through the Elandsberg
Mountains, offering scenic views of the Robertson landscape, the Langeberg and the Riviersonderend Mountains. The route is strenuous and takes 7 to 8 hours to complete. There is no water available on the route so hikers must carry their own – 2 liters or more per person